Overcoming Long Haul Flights

Through my experiences of almost monthly travels, I have personally experienced the good and the bad of flying. To ease the stress and complication of your travels, here are some tips and tricks for travelling on long haul flights!

1. Pack light, Travel light
In order to pack light, you need to figure out your essentials. Packing smart is key when you’re traveling. Plan ahead exactly what you will need on your flight. Depending on your type of travel, you may or may not need a piece of carry-on luggage for your clothes, but you’ll almost always need a personal bag.
Aside from carry-on luggage, I always recommend bringing some type of “personal bag” for items that you can access easily and either store by your feet or in the overhead bin during your flight.
For short-trips: I recommend bringing a tote that can also function as a day bag on your trip.
For longer trips: A bring a decent sized bag pack or weekender bag to pack everything I may need for my flight and my arrival.
A good personal bag for travel should have plenty of space, zipper closures, and pockets & compartments for organisation.

2. Dress comfortably
I always dress for comfort on any flight I hop on. No jeans, or any tight stiff clothing. I suggest stretchy or loose-fitting bottoms, such as leggings, a comfy top and a cozy over-sized sweater or cardigan that can also act as a blanket.
Layering your clothing is the best way to travel, especially when your destination is a flip of season.
Slip-on shoes are good for the security line and getting comfortable on your flight. You’ll also want to pack a pair of compression socks to avoid any health risks such as blot clots and DVT (deep vein thrombosis).

3. Getting rest
Getting rest during your flight is important and, while it can be challenging, it’s totally doable. Come prepared by bringing your own pillow (I suggest the blow-up kind so it is easy to pack), an eye mask to block out the light, earplugs or noise cancelling headphones to block out any noises.
A quick little tip to defeat jetlag: Chances are you’re also time traveling as you’re in air so, as soon as you board, set your clocks to the local time in your destination and rest as if you were already there. It may mean that you don’t sleep on your flight or you’ll need to wake yourself up after a few short hours of rest.

I hope these few tips help with your enroute travels!

- Antonia




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fuji Q - Home to the roller coaster world records

Disney Sea - Nostalgic for both you and me

Soldiers Point